Tips for Umpires
- Keep up to date with rules and rule interpretations. Have you read / understood the Rule Book?
- Request a mentor to watch you every few weeks for tips and advice.
- Maintain accreditation / attend umpiring courses.
- Be as fit as the players / warm up.
- Wear appropriate uniform.
- Arrive on time for the start of your match.
- Blow your whistle loudly and assertively.
- Ensure that you are always in a position to see.
- Do not alter your initial umpiring decision – even if you realise it was wrong.
- Do not “make up” for an incorrect decision.
- You will make mistakes – so do AA umpires. Accept it and move on.
- Be CONFIDENT with your decisions
- Ask for an Umpire Mentor assistance or KDNA official if you are having difficulties.
- Never mediate arguments without a KDNA official being present.
- Be aware of your rights with players and parents as per the Codes of Conduct.
- Do not be afraid to warn players & follow up with advanced penalty / ask to leave the court.